Dundalk is a larger medium-sized coastal town in the state of Maryland. It has a mixed workforce of blue and white-collar workers that consist of sales and office workers, service providers, and professionals. Most people in Dundalk work in office and administrative support, sales jobs, and management occupations. That said, only about 13 percent of people in Dundalk have at least a bachelor’s degree which is significantly lower than the national average.
Dundalk was first explored by John Smith in 1608. Before colonists arrived, the area was occupied by the tribes of the Susquehannock. It wasn’t until 1856 that Irish immigrant Henry McShane established the McShane Bell Foundry on the banks of the Patapsco River. When the city of Baltimore and Sparrows Point Railroad for a name of a depot for the foundry — which was on their rail line — McShane selected Dundalk, which was the town of his birth in Ireland.
Today, Dundalk is considered one of the first “inner-ring” suburbs of Baltimore. These are the suburban communities that are generally located very close to the center of a large city with a lower urban density than the inner city or the central business district but a higher urban density than the outer suburbs or exurbs.
Things to Do
- Bennett’s Curse Haunted House
- Fort Carol
- Stansbury Park
- North Point State Battlefield
- Dundalk-Patapsco Neck Historical Society and Museum
- Dundalk Elementary School
- Dundalk Middle School
- Dundalk High School
- Bear Creek Elementary
- Grange Elementary School
- Social Security Administration and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- T. Rowe Price
- Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC)
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- MedStar Franklin Square Hospital
- Dundalk was named after the town of Dundalk, Ireland.
- Kevin Clash, native and resident of Dundalk’s Turner Station neighborhood, performs Elmo and other Muppet characters.
- Dundalk was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983
If you are in the market for buying or selling a home, Vinny Steo is your best choice in Bel Air, Maryland to help you. Call us at 410-220-0016 or fill out the form below.